Patient Instructions: How to Use the Pulse Oximeter (SpO2)
Preparation before coming to the surgery
- You MUST remove any nail polish or false nail on one finger. Please wear a mask when you come to the surgery. If you do not have one, please inform reception when buzzing the door.
- Bring your mobile phone with you to the surgery
- Wash your hands to make sure they are warm & clean when you come in
- Buzz the doorbell to be let in and inform reception that they are there for “sats”
- Receptionists will leave a box with Pulse Oximeter, hand gel, pen, paper between the two sliding doors. Please take the box and use Pulse Oximeter outside the building
Using the Pulse Oximeter
- Rest your hand flat on your leg, a table or arm of chair with nails facing upwards
- Place a finger into the probe
- Press the button so the screen lights up
- Keep the probe on the finger for 30 – 60 seconds. After 30-60 seconds the numbers on the screen will have settled. Write down both numbers
- When wearing the Pulse Oximeter walk up and down the street for 30 seconds. Write down both numbers again.
- Write your date of birth AND make sure both sets of numbers down are written in the sheet marked SATS RESULTS. If your Sp02 is lower than 92% you must inform the Receptionist. Put the kit back in the box.
- Buzz Reception and inform them that you have finished with the “sats” and leave it outside the front door.
Do not keep the Pulse Oximeter, it is needed by other patients